Serving as the county seat, Anderson is the third-largest city in Upstate South Carolina, enjoying a convenient distance from larger neighboring cities. Known for its historic downtown district, tight-knit community and proximity to the renowned Lake Hartwell, Anderson is a desirable place to call home.
Homes in Anderson include a mix of styles, sizes and price points, ranging from modest single-story residences to large estates, many of which enjoy large lots filled with trees and attractive landscaping. There are also a number of condominiums and townhomes in Anderson, adding diversity to the real estate landscape. Home prices in Anderson have appreciated by over 6 percent over the last several years.
Lifestyle and Attractions
Anderson boasts a pristine location amongst some of the area’s finest cities and attractions, including Greenville, Atlanta, Athens, Lake Hartwell and the Savannah River. Nicknamed the “Electric City”, Anderson was ahead of the curve in the late 19th century, becoming the first city in the South to use long-distance cables to carry electricity generated by hydroelectric plants. This innovative spirit has continued into the present day, and Anderson’s quality of life has attracted national attention, as it received the desired All-America City Award from the National Civic League. The community comes together for a number of events and festivals throughout the year, including Balloons Over Anderson and the South Carolina Chili Cook-Off in Belton.
Anderson is served by District 5 of Anderson County School District, which has nine elementary schools, three middle schools and three high schools in total. There are 15 private schools in Anderson County, with an enrollment of approximately 1,500 students. In addition to the number of colleges and universities in the area, Anderson is home to Tri-County Technical College and Anderson University, a private, Christian liberal arts university that has received a number of accolades over the years.
Incorporated in 1833, Anderson was named for General Robert Anderson, a Revolutionary War hero and colonial statesman who arrived in South Carolina in the mid-1700s to help his friend survey the land. The city became widely known in 1894 when local engineer William Whitner developed a way to generate alternating-current electricity by harnessing the water of the Rocky River. This accomplishment is said to have sparked the Industrial Revolution in the South, and earned the town the “Electric City” nickname. In 1897, the first cotton gin in the world operated by electricity was constructed in Anderson County. The electricity boom paved the way for Anderson’s involvement in the textile industry into the late 1960s. This innovative city has continued to develop and evolve over time, continually attracting new commerce and industry.
Approximate Distance to:
Greenville: 30 Miles
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport: 40.5 Miles
Charlotte-Douglas International Airport: 123 Miles
AnMed Health: 1 Mile
I-85: 6.5 Miles
Map and Points of Interest
Select a Point of Interest and Distance from the search form.